Thursday 11 October 2012

Fear vs. Will


"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear. (Frank Herbert, DUNE)

I had never really considered it before, but DC Comics has had it right all along...Fear IS the opposite of Willpower.  Nothing can shut down an idea so quickly and so fatally as fear.  I noticed it just the other day...as I was doing some exercises I suddenly felt a twinge in my back and got worried.  What if I had hurt myself?  What if I threw out my back or damaged something and screwed everything up?  Wouldn't it be better not to take the chance and go back to just sitting around eating chips instead of trying to stay in shape and maybe pushing too hard and hurting myself??

So dumb!!!  I've been doing the same exercises for over 8 months now!  Nothing bad has happened because of them...on the contrary, I'm much leaner, stronger and healthier than I've ever been!  Not only that, back spasms and sore muscles have been a reality of my existence on a nearly permanent basis since my car accident back in 2006!  Why I'd A: Be surprised about it or B: Start to worry that exercising caused it is beyond me.  

Nonetheless, that tiny twinge of Fear nearly broke months and months of Will.   Luckily, my willpower proved stronger than my fears...in that case!  However I have to wonder what times I might have lost...what other accomplishments, what opportunities, bigger or smaller, might have slipped through my fingers because I was too scared to reach out and take hold?  I know, as a human being, I really can accomplish almost anything based on hard work and, yes, WILLPOWER!  

Fear is stupid.  Don't let it stop you from doing anything that you want to do.

(PS:  My back is fine...I slipped a rib out of place..happens ALL THE TIME and the Chiro fixes it in about 5 seconds if it doesn't go back by itself before then.  No worries!)

No comments:

Post a Comment