Thursday 13 September 2012

Films About Ghosts


I waded in the calm blue sea, squishing wet sand between my toes and letting my mind flit from idea to idea like a honey bee who lands on every little blossom he sees, but rests upon each for only a moment.

As I waded, a bright, colourful object surfed right up to my toes.  I bent to retrieve this offering...it was a child's discarded yellow balloon, now bereft of air, partially filled instead by the waters of Lake Ontario. 

I held the balloon, and all of a sudden I saw her, as clearly as if she was standing there in front of me.  She was 3, or perhaps 4 years old.  A little girl in a pale green sun dress, with a floppy yellow hat and oversized, heart shaped sunglasses.  She had dark hair, pale skin and a splash of freckles across her cheeks and nose.  Gripped tightly in her little hand was a piece of white string, and trailing behind her like a forgotten pet was the very same shiny yellow balloon I now held lifeless in my hand, dancing to and fro upon the gentle September breeze of my mind's eye.

She wore no shoes and left perfect tiny footprints in the cool, damp sand.

She was our daughter.  Yours and mine.

All in a moment I saw what could have been.  I see what is and I see what will never be.

As I walked back to my car, alone, I pressed the deflated yellow balloon to my lips.  Then, I let it go. 

I can accept the path that I walk upon.  I can embrace my solitude, embrace being alone and apart. 
All of the Love that I Need is In Me Now.

I will embrace the path that I walk.  It is not the path that I would have selected, but it is the path that has chosen me.





This is a true story.  Please tell me how it makes you feel, for I don't know how to feel about it. 

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLry0f0A6Cw
    "Fear thou not for I am with you, be not dismayed for I am your God."Is 41:10
    thats what i think about when these things happen to me.

    ReplyDelete