Thursday 8 November 2012

The Doll House


I was lying on my back on the living room floor, exercising, when in-between sets I was suddenly...transported.  My mind's eye opened and the floor show began...as if my life were flashing before my eyes, but in the wrong direction...presenting me with the future instead of the past...

You were there in the future.  Platonic no more, our relationship had, surprisingly, moved to another level.  As a matter of fact, you were the future I saw...

I watched as we decided it would be nice to move in together.

I was the proverbial fly on the wall when you told me we were going to have a baby.

I saw us house-hunting, you showing a pronounced baby bump and looking  more beautiful than I'd ever seen you.

I finally saw our child...a daughter with strawberry-blond hair.  Yeah, I don't know where that colour came from, either. 

The last thing I saw was the three of us, in our now not-so-new place, just getting ready for dinner.  Just another little family.  Little girl seemed like a happy toddler.  You and I seemed happy, too.  It was nice.

When I came back to myself it took me a moment to remember where I was, what I was doing and why I was lying on my back on the living room floor.  After the cobwebs cleared and I realized what was what, I felt a little sad...I wrote you a note:

"I sometimes wonder if you're not secretly attracted to me but too chicken to actually do anything about it because right out of the gate it would be too large of a commitment.  It's just TOO much.  If that's true I wish you'd admit it so that we could just start already."

Re-reading what I wrote then, I wonder if it isn't more appropriately meant for me?  It certainly does apply...

So what does it mean?  Vision of the future?  Glimpse into an alternate reality?  Or just the product of an overactive imagination? 

I don't know, but I do know one thing.  It was a good dream.  I'd love to end up as happy as we appeared to be. 

And on the off chance that it was real?  I'll...uh...try to act surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment