Thursday 12 July 2012

NO!! Well....Maybe....


 I've been noticing a trend both amusing and disturbing in my life recently...not that it is a recent trend, but that it's recently been more noticeable to me.

It seems like lately, whenever the opportunity to go "outside the box" comes along, my first instinct is to say "No thanks, I'm good."

Luckily I am easily persuaded to change my mind, or else I'd probably never do anything.

It makes me laugh, sometimes, because it reminds me of my dad when I was young.  His first answer for anything was and is almost always "No" too.  Of course it becomes a "well...maybe...." pretty quickly.  It's just like, No is the default answer to buy time until we've thought it through or something.  So perhaps it's genetic?  One of my dad's favourite lines is "you get that from your mother's side" but this is one tendency he can't blame on her!

Anyway, my concern is, having recognized this tendency in myself and not wanting to be left out of anything, I am starting to over-think saying "No" to anything!   This, I'm afraid, is going to eventually come along and bite me in the ass.  If nothing else if the pendulum swings too far I'll burn myself out...

Oh well, the pertinent part of the above paragraph is "Over-Think".  If I say "yes" to something I am not entirely sure about and it works out, great!  If not, at least I'll have an interesting story to tell.  "No" just leaves me sitting on the couch watching T.V.  We already KNOW how that story ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment