Friday 2 March 2012

Meddlesome



When i see an arrogant teenager walking around like the king of awesomeville, knowing everything and doing no wrong, it's just ridiculous and funny these days...nature taking it's course even.  I remember my own days of over-compensation...trying to prove I was king only led to being court jester....shocking!

I do, however, wonder about these older, senior citizen types that I see who still act like they know everything and are the most-entitled members of society.  What's up with that?  I wonder if they've been that bull-headed their whole lives or if it's some weird age-entitlement thing?  "I'm old now and have seen everything so do what I say or else I will WRITE A LETTER!!!"

I don't know...by my age I think everyone should have learned that they aren't the greatest, smartest, most amazing person to ever walk the face of the earth and that this is OK....life is not a competition.  Put another way, I'm saying by 30 or so a person should have learned a little humility and how to just relax and step back from a situation without having to meddle.  There's a reasonable chance that if you're only peripherally involved, you're unaware of everything that's going on and thus likely wrong in your conclusions.  It's not personal, that's just logic.  

Anyway, so these older but entitled folk...the ones whose attitudes mirror those of most 16 year olds...did they never grow up or did something change as they got older that made them revert to adolescent bluster and entitlement?

Hmmm....as a teen my bad attitude came from over-compensating for my own low self-esteem after realizing just how far in over my head I actually was!  In other words, FEAR dictated my behaviour.  Perhaps fear is the same thing motivating these elderly tyrants?  Fear of being past one's prime, of not being as relevant or needed as you once were...fear of being marginalized...perhaps even fear of dying?  I suppose that's enough stress and fear to make anyone over-compensate.  I just hope that I never fall into that trap.

From what I can see, the only real point to existing is to attempt to learn and grow throughout one's life and try to make the world around you a better place than it was when you came in.  Nicer, healthier, more knowledgeable...as enlightened as possible.  Age should be, by and large, completely irrelevant.  Of course this may be an unattainable ideal but the attempt...the journey...is the important part anyway.  Putting forth the effort to challenge oneself.  Trying to push along the progression of the species in tiny little ways...make things a little better in the world if we can! 

Of course that's just me and I may have a totally different outlook tomorrow...who knows?  I do know that I don't want to end up grumpy and embittered in 30 years, thinking I'm the only one who knows anything and that the world owes me for some reason...wondering why it won't pay up.  If I seem to start sliding too far in that direction (Lord knows I can be a condescending know-it-all) please do me a favour and slap a little sense into me!

NO ONE is ever irrelevant if the can validate themselves!  Irrelevance can only occur if one searches for meaning, validation, approval...basically self-worth...from others instead of from within.  Ironically, if you can achieve your own sense of self-worth and validation from within, in my experience people around you will also start to treat you as a worthwhile person and reinforce your inner peace from without!  It's win-win!

I guess all of this is a very long winded way of saying...I wish everyone would just take it easy and be happy and hope that I always do, too.

Limitless undying love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment