Friday 6 April 2012

Duck Duck Goose!


Happy Easter folks! 

So since this is the first week of April, I was totally prepared to do a first quarter round-up this week.  Then I realized that between work and Easter festivities I wouldn't have nearly the amount of time that I want to actually write that properly.  Instead, I've decided that I will think about all of that next week and today I will simply tell you about the duck.

This morning I woke up at 6 am and drove up to my parents house to go help hide Easter eggs for the kids at their church.  I figured that since I've been waking up at 4 am every other day for work, 6 was not too much of a sacrifice, and a bunch of little kids strung out on chocolate that are in no way my responsibility might be fun! Why not go up and help out?

So I'm hiding Easter eggs out in this park and I am immediately attracted to a large stump protruding from this one tree that looks like a good place to hide eggs.  I go over to it and place one of the plastic eggs nearby.  Suddenly part of the tree grows larger, sprouts wings, makes a snap movement towards me and a funny noise!! Turns out that I am not the only one who thought this stump was an excellent spot to hide eggs!  A DUCK had come to the same conclusion, and was nesting there with a clutch of eggs!  I guess this isn't that strange (although there wasn't any pond or stream within sight), but this duck was so well camouflaged in the tree that I was less than 6 inches away from it and still completely oblivious to it's presence till it stood up and quacked at me!  It's amazing the things we DON'T perceive....makes me wonder what else I walk right by without noticing...and how can I better train myself to open my eyes??  Crazy...

Anyway so that's my Easter story for the year.  It seemed super appropriate...Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment